Home

About us

Executive education

For international students

The southern california experience

Events activities

Join ETEC

Members area

Contact us


Robert Gordon University

 

Robert Gordon University, commonly called RGU, is a public university in the city of Aberdeen, Scotland. It became a university in 1992, and originated from an educational institution founded in the 18th century by Robert Gordon, a prosperous Aberdeen merchant, and various institutions which provided adult education and technical education in the 19th and early 20th centuries. It is one of two universities in the city (the other is the much older University of Aberdeen). RGU is a campus university and its single campus in Aberdeen is at Garthdee, in the south-west of the city.
Meanwhile, in the early 19th century, the Industrial Revolution led to a greater need for scientific and technical education for working-class adults, with "Mechanic's Institutes" spreading through Scotland, patterned on that founded by George Birkbeck at Glasgow (he would later found Birkbeck College, the University of London's night school). The Aberdeen Mechanic's Institution opened in 1824 providing evening classes in subjects such as physics, chemistry, mathematics, book-keeping, maritime navigation and art. By 1855 it was receiving government funding as the School of Science and Art, with a Technical School founded two years later.
By 2000, the University had consolidated to two campuses, at Garthdee and a City-Centre campus at Schoolhill and St. Andrew Street in central Aberdeen. However, it had been planned since the early 1990s to eventually move all facilities to a single campus at Garthdee and additional land was purchased to enable buildings to be constructed to house academic departments which had been at the City Centre campus. The first phase was completed in summer 2013 with the opening of the Sir Ian Wood building (formally opened in July 2015). The only remaining building at the City-Centre campus is the Administration Building on Schoolhill.
The campus extends to 23 hectares (57 acres), although some of this is currently landscaped parkland, undeveloped, or under construction. In addition, the university owns a further 8 hectares (20 acres) of land to the west (primarily woodland) and 22 hectares (54 acres) at Waterside Farm on the opposite bank of the River Dee.
The School of Computing Science and Digital Media is one of the four schools in the Faculty of Design and Technology. The School's research areas include Information Retrieval and Interaction, Computer Science Education, Knowledge Based Systems, Computational Intelligence, Graphics and Imaging, and Mathematics for Computing and Engineering. The School is located in the Sir Ian Wood building at the Garthdee campus.